It is indeed a moment of joy when a new baby family member arrives at home. People celebrate their arrival. However, it is natural for parents to be concerned about the health of the baby. So, they keep checking the weight of the baby at regular intervals. A baby scale is a device that is used to check the importance of a baby at home. Do check best baby weighing machines.
No doubt, it is an essential device in a home that has a newborn baby. Not all babies weigh the same. Certain factors, like the gender of the baby and the DNA of the parent, contribute to the weight. It is natural for the girl child to weigh lesser than a boy child.
Table of Contents
Reasons Behind Loss of Weight
Several reasons contribute to the loss of weight of a newborn baby. The infants cannot describe their feelings to us. So, their value speaks volumes about their health. A sudden loss of weight needs to set off alarm bells in the minds of parents. A nourished mother means a healthy baby. If the mother had been malnourished during her pregnancy, the child would be malnourished too. Let us find out how to use the baby scale.
The process to Use a Baby Scale
Getting the baby weighed in a clinic involves a lot of hassles. All the nuisance may be avoided by getting the baby measured at home.
Also, the two main reasons for using the baby scale are as follows:
- Determining the naked weight of the baby
- Check how much milk the infant removes from the mother’s breasts.
The procedure varies for each of the reasons.
1) Obtain Naked Weight
The following steps may be implemented to measure the naked weight of the child:
- Plug the scale into an electric socket
- Ensure that the scale is level. In case it is not level, adjust the level of the scale.
- Ensure that the socket doesn’t rock back and forth. The leveling bubble should be within the red circle.
- Turn on the scale
- Set the grams indicator to pounds, using a small switch on the right. Ensure that the display reads 0.00.000
- Place a blanket on the scale tray, if needed. Then, ensure that the display reads 0.000.00. Then, press Zero. This technique helps capture the weight of the baby without the help of the blanket.
- Undress the baby and put him or her on a scale. Make sure that the baby isn’t wearing diapers at that time.
- When the weight indicator beeps and makes a locking sound, note down the weight.
2) Determine how much milk the baby removes:
- Plug the socket in an electrical socket.
- Ensure the scale is level. Adjust the level of the hierarchy if it is not level.
- The leveling bubble should be within the red circle. The unit shouldn’t rock to and fro.
- Set the weight indicator to grams, using the tiny switch towards the right. The display should read zero.
- If you want, you could keep a blanket over the scale tray. Then, press ZERO. The display should read Zero. It lets the baby, but not the blanket, be weighed.
- Keep the baby on the scale. Make sure that the baby is wearing a clean, dry diaper or is fully clothed.
- Press the pre-feeding button when the scale locks. You may jot this weight down on a scrap of paper, under the heading Pre-weight.
- Remove the baby from the scale.
- Feed the baby
- Don’t change the clothes or diaper after feeding the baby.
- Keep the baby back on the scale and press the re-weigh button.
- Press and hold the Post weight button. The scale will record the quantity of milk the baby removed from the breast. The difference between the pre-feeding weight and the post-feeding weight may also be manually calculated.
3) A Digital Scale
Digital baby scales are so accurate that people may trust in their precision. Hence, a digital scale is found in many households. Let us find out how to use a digital scale. The steps are as follows:
- Choose preference: Choose whether you want to find out the baby’s weight in pound or kg. Select the option accordingly.
- Be patient: The digital scale needs a few seconds to show the correct reading. So, do not expect instant results.
- Calibrate: Sometimes, you need to get the reading of the digital weighing scale calibrated. Calibration doesn’t need to be done regularly, but it becomes essential if the scale is frequently and roughly used.
The calibration button needs to be pressed until the display changes to 0000. The controller needs to be pressed continuously until the scale enters the calibration mode. It will be evident that the screen has gone into calibration mode when the screen shows “CAL.” A number follows it.
Then, the calibration weight is put on the scales, and the weight rests on the scale for approximately five seconds. After that, hit the calibration button. Many of the digital weight scales will restart after calibration is over. However, if it doesn’t renew automatically, it is a good idea to switch it off, wait for thirty seconds, and then restart it.
The parents need to select a well-built baby scale, which records even minute differences, such as ten grams. It should have a tray where the baby may be safely placed. They should be thoroughly cleaned to avoid any risk of infection to the beloved newborn. Going through the article can provide you with the right assistance while measuring the baby. Once you get everything right, you are always good to go.