Getting ready for your next vacation? Have you carried all the necessary items needed while traveling to another state or country? Arriving at the airport, it seems that you’re over the baggage limit, even though you have cross-checked your luggage with a bathroom scale or a luggage scale. Have you ever thought about how did your luggage gain or lose weight?
Are you aware of the fact that your luggage scale does not always match your airline’s baggage? You must be thinking about what the reason behind it is. Well, the weighing scale at the airport is used almost every five minutes, and it’s only calibrated once a year. So, you can see that it lacks precision and accuracy. Most of us always face over-packing issues at the airport, and we don’t intend to pay extra money for the luggage just because of the faulty weighing scale.
So, what can we do about it? Are there any other ways to minimize the amount we pay for the extra kg we carry at the airport?
Table of Contents
What Can be Done?
If you are unaware of the entire procedure of weighing luggage, we have got you covered. Down below is a list of some of the tips you can follow to save some cash.
- You can humbly ask them to measure the luggage on another weighing scale. They are likely to accept your request.
- You can carry an extra bag to put the extra weight in that bag. That way, you can easily manage your luggage.
- Don’t reach the maximum limit of weight as per the airport’s instructions. Keep at least 5 lbs buffer while you are packing your bags.
- Buy a portable luggage scale and at least maintain a 3 to 5 lbs buffer while packing your bags.
- Airports make a lot of money due to this faulty weighing scale readings. So, it’s a benefit for them to calibrate their weighing scale only once a year. So, what you can do is just take things that you need, not the things that you want. Count the number of days that you’re likely going to stay over a particular place; then you can pack your bags. That way you can save your money.
Digital Portable Luggage Scale or Analogue Portable Luggage Scale?
We would recommend you to go for a digital luggage scale compared to a traditional analog luggage scale. The digital luggage scale gives precise and accurate readings. You can rely on them for accurate readings.
Whereas traditional analog weighing scale works on spring tension, which will wear off over period and digital weighing scale works both on electricity and batteries so you can easily change their batteries and the display size is bigger as well, making it easy to read it from a distance as well. On the other hand, the decimal point is hard to read.
You would easily get a portable luggage scale in the market at affordable prices. Some brands give quality products at a reasonable price. You can buy it for your next travel.
Is a Portable Luggage Scale Accurate?
It’s obvious; portable luggage scales are precise and accurate. Follow all these steps to get precise and accurate reading.
- Check the baggage allowance of the airlines you’re about to travel to.
- The initial reading should be 0.00 lbs. Then you can start. If it’s not showing 0.00 lbs, that means your Weighing scale needs calibration.
- The luggage scale comes with a hook. You can put this hook under your suitcase for an accurate reading.
- Lift your suitcase, then hold on to for 20-25 seconds. Some luggage scale makes a sound stating that the reading is locked. But this can only be seen in a good quality portable luggage scale. Low-cost items don’t have this functionality.
Now, check if the luggage exceeds the allowed baggage limit. If not, then you are ready to go.
The Final Takeaway
If you frequently travel, then buying a portable luggage scale is a must. You don’t want to stand in the queue for hours, and after that, you see your checked-in luggage has exceeded the allowed limit. You have to pay a hefty amount. Nobody wants that. It’s better to buy a portable luggage scale. You can follow all the above-mentioned tips for avoiding charges.